CDR, U.S. Coast Guard Reserve, Ret.
Frank Strickland serves as a court-appointed special master and receiver in commercial litigation matters and is a certified mediator registered with the Georgia Office of Dispute Resolution. Mr. Strickland’s practice also includes assisting clients with interests in legislative and public policy matters. He has appeared before legislative and congressional committees and has represented legislators and candidates before the Georgia Government Transparency and Campaign Finance Commission (and its predecessor). He served as an adjunct professor at the Georgia State University College of Law teaching a course in election law.
With more than 40 years of experience in the field of higher education, Mr. Strickland has represented educational institutions in litigation and accreditation matters; federal funding; discipline of faculty, staff, and students; tenure; state licensing boards; athletics; board governance; and various types of financing, including bond financing. He has acted as special counsel to foundations located at numerous institutions of the University System of Georgia in connection with financing of student housing and related facilities.
President George W. Bush nominated Mr. Strickland to the eleven-member bipartisan Board of Directors of the Legal Services Corporation (LSC) in Washington, DC. After Senate confirmation, Mr. Strickland was elected Chairman of the Board of LSC and served in that position from April 2003 until April 2010. He continues to serve on two LSC board committees. LSC is the single largest funder of civil legal aid in the nation. Congress established LSC as an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation that promotes equal access to justice and provides grants for high-quality civil legal assistance to low-income Americans. With an annual appropriation of $489 million, LSC distributes more than 94 percent of its total funding to 132 independent nonprofit legal aid programs in all 50 states with more than 800 offices.
By appointment of Governors Sonny Perdue and Nathan Deal, from 2003 to 2016 Mr. Strickland served on the Judicial Nominating Commission (JNC), which reviews candidates for judicial appointments throughout the State of Georgia.
Mr. Strickland served as an officer in the United States Coast Guard and is a retired Commander, U.S. Coast Guard Reserve.
- State Bar of Georgia, Board of Governors, 1986-present; Executive Committee, 2017-2019
- Atlanta Lawyers Chapter of the Federalist Society, Chairman
- Bleckley Inn of Court, Georgia State University College of Law, Master
- Georgia State University College of Law Board of Visitors, Member
- LSC Leaders Council, Member
- Board to Determine the Fitness of Bar Applicants, Former Member
- Atlanta Bar Association, Former President
- Cobb and American Bar Associations
- State Ethics Commission, Former Chairman
- Fulton County Board of Registration and Elections, Former Member
- Georgia Legal Services Program, Former Director
- Atlanta Legal Aid Society, Former Director
- Federal Defender Program Inc., Former Director