A Memorial of Honor. A Tribute to Service.
The Cobb County Veterans Memorial will be a beautifully inviting park and transformational setting to the people in the City of Marietta and Cobb County, Georgia.This dedicated site will have a simple motto of “Thank You” to those who have served. It will stand as a beacon to recognize the sacrifice of those who made freedom possible and inspire future generations to lead lives of service.
The Time is Now
Cobb County is one of the largest of the 159 counties in Georgia and does not have a Veterans Memorial honoring service.Additionally, Cobb County is home to approximately 60,000 veterans, the most of any county in Georgia. With the recent gift of land by the Cobb County Commission, County leaders are determined to fill that void and engage in a true community effort to build a fitting tribute for those who have served our country.
The Memorial will serve the dual purpose of honoring the men, women, and their families who have served throughout the rich history of Cobb County, while also standing as a dynamic living tribute, unifying all veteran branches and causes related to their service.
The key attributes and impact of the Cobb Veterans Memorial include:
- Dynamic Memorial site centrally located behind the Cobb County Central Aquatic Center with walkways leading to an iconic centerpiece “Star” sculpture tower.
- “Thank you” to ALL Veterans and their families for their service andto sincerely honor their “Oath of Office” to protect and defend our great nation.
- Service Walls honoring all branches of the armed forces throughout history including the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Merchant Marines, and Coast Guard.
- Build awareness and inspiration for our veterans
- Educate the community and the next generations on the importance of service.
- Offer up the symbol of unification for all service branches, no matter what the year, rank, campaign, or decoration.
- Provide a place of peaceful reflection for those who will want to visit and remember, honor, or feel inspired.
- Gather community in a space designed for special events, ceremonies, and speakers in a beautiful setting centrally located just north of Atlanta.
- Generate an economic impact that will be significant to the central Cobb business and recreation area as well as attract a variety of local tradeshows and conventions to the adjacent Cobb Civic Center.
Costs and Timeline
Total design and construction costs of the Memorial are projected to be $4 million.
Background on Cobb Veterans Memorial Foundation
Cobb Veterans Memorial Foundation (CVMF) Mission Statement:
“The mission of the Cobb Veterans Memorial Foundation, Inc. is
to design, build and maintain a memorial
to honor our United States Armed Forces and their families.”
Formed in 2014 (led by former Commission Chairman Tim Lee) and unanimously approved by the Cobb County Board of Commissioners, the Cobb Veterans Memorial Foundation is comprised of local community leaders who have served in the military and county staff.
The president of the CVMF is Major General James D. Bankers, a command pilot with over 4,000 flying hours and 200 combat missions who served as Commander, 22nd Air Force, responsible for command supervision of Air Force Reserve airlift resources in the eastern United States. The entire board consists of veterans who have served our country and acutely understand the daily sacrifice of service. Significant support for the CVMF also came from State Senator Michael “Doc” Rhett (Master Sergeant, United States Air Force) in addition to the City of Marietta Mayor, Mr. Steve Tumlin. In addition to the building of the Memorial, the CVMF hopes to bring to light significant veteran issues and causes that will provide continued support of our local veterans.
To date, the Cobb County Board of Commissioners has committed to and allocated $250,000 to assist the CVMF in launching its efforts, including the architectural design and the fundraising campaign. CVMF plans to reach out to prominent leaders and corporations within Cobb County and Metro Atlanta to assist CVMF through donations, both monetary and in-kind, to the campaign.
Donor Recognition to include the following:
- Donor Wall and Plaza to be constructed at the main entrance of the Memorial (see rendering) with corporate naming opportunities.
- Photo Walls will be a main feature of the walkways leading to the centerpiece tower allowing a community member to place a small plaque and picture of their family member.
- Service Walls that provide a brief history and showcases the respective flag for each branch of service.
Invitation to Join
It is with sincere appreciation and humility that we hope to consider you a partner in this vision for our community. Thank you for being willing to share your time and experience with us.
“Therefore, when we build, let us think that we build forever. Let it not be for present delight, nor for present use alone; let it be such work as our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone on stone, that a time is to come when those stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, ‘See! this our fathers did for us.”
– John Ruskin